The solely solution to be 100% certain of getting a verified pure breed Maine Coon cat is to purchase a pedigree kitten from a breeder. The breeder ought to have the ability to current a household tree of your cat’s pedigree and supply related certification.
A advisable place to start out a seek for a good breeder in your native space is the “Maine Coon Breed Fanciers Association” (www.mcbfa.org) Maine Coon kittens might be immediately recognizable by the lengthy tufty ears and outsized paws, as seen within the traditional longhaired American nonetheless there’s a European pressure of Maine Coon, (my very own Maine Coon, King Henry comes from a German line) which has a shorter ruff across the neck, and sometimes a fuller, squarer muzzle. The variations usually are not obvious till the cat is between 12 to 18 months.
In phrases of figuring out a “pure” pedigree Maine Coon, you may be relying fairly closely on data the breeder is presenting to you. If you will have problem discovering a good breeder, you might attempt to get a suggestion by speaking to people at an area occasion or an “all breeds” Cat present. It is important you might be joyful together with your breeder – in case you are changing into a Maine Coon proprietor for the primary time, it’s possible you’ll have to depend on their professional recommendation.
You can anticipate to pay anyplace between $500 and $800 for a pure breed Maine Coon. With meals, litter, vet payments and cat-sitters for holidays, Maine Coons generally is a comparatively costly funding. All homeowners will agree that they’re a very fantastic breed and can repay you a lot occasions over.
IMPORTANT TIP: This might save a variety of heartache, hassle and expense afterward; When shopping for an costly pet, don’t go for the kitten you are feeling sorry for and appears prefer it wants assist. Any kittens with indicators of withdrawal, low vitality or common apathy, ought to actually be prevented. Choose an impartial, full of life, energetic kitten. Pick out kittens that do not essentially come to you however are, nonetheless, taken with their environment.
It’s greatest to select an area breeder and go to them of their residence, once you’re first making your preliminary enquiries to examine the kitten’s dwelling circumstances, well being and welfare of all cats dwelling in the identical atmosphere.
Although it seems like frequent sense, have questions ready that can allow you to to ascertain whether or not the breeder might be trusted.
Questions you may undoubtedly wish to ask:
1. How a lot expertise does the breeder have? If you want assurance concerning the breeder’s means/experience ask to talk to somebody who has lately bought a Maine Coon from that breeder.
2. Who are the kittens’ mother and father and are they champions? Even if you happen to do not intend to point out your cat, you may nonetheless wish to discover out about their pedigree. That’s what you might be paying for. If that is simply not vital, you’ll be able to typically discover cheaper Maine Coons which might be known as “pet high quality” which means they don’t meet the required bodily requirements for displaying. This doesn’t imply they aren’t completely wholesome.
3. Does the stud stay with the breeder? If not, can the breeder assure that the stud has not been subjected to any sicknesses e.g. cat flu. Has the breeder bred the stud earlier than?
4. Is there any recognized heredity sicknesses within the ancestral line similar to HCM (could cause coronary heart failure) and hip issues?
5. Have any of the opposite cats suffered from any sicknesses for e.g. have any current litters suffered from any pressure of cat flu?
6. If related to your scenario, ask if the kitten is comfy round different animals and youngsters?
7. At what level, might the kittens go away their mom (I might be involved if the breeder allowed the kitten to go away it is mom whether it is lower than 12 weeks).
8. Will a vet examine the kittens earlier than leaving the breeder’s residence? How many occasions? If the Maine Coon turns into in poor health after it has left the breeder, who’s accountable for paying vet’s charges or might the kitten be returned to the breeder?
9. You’ll additionally wish to learn how usually the queen is impregnated; as a result of a queen subjected to “too common” pregnancies might be liable to producing weak or sickly kittens.
Other issues it’s possible you’ll wish to examine/do:
10. The dwelling circumstances of the stud and queens e.g. the cleanliness of the cages/rooms and the well being/welfare of the cat and so forth.
11. Will the cats be litter educated earlier than they transfer to their new properties?
12. Also, the atmosphere the place the mom and kittens live. Are there toys, clear litter, heat, meals and water?
13. Check the eyes of the kitten to judge its well being. Never buy a kitten that has weeping eyes.
14. The breeder’s contract. Have a learn of the written settlement earlier than you commit your self. Pay explicit consideration to areas of duty ought to the kitten develop into unwell quickly after you’ve got purchased him/her.
15. You ought to e book your new kitten in for an all spherical examine with your personal vet virtually as quickly as you’ve got collected from the breeder. If there are any indicators of issues, you may wish to know inside the first 24 hours.
On the entire, Maine Coon breeders are enthusiastic about their cats and love what they do. There’s not an entire lot of cash to be made in breeding Maine Coons, and it is rather demanding work.
Unless, your intestine feeling tells you in any other case, you’ll be able to anticipate to be speaking to breeders who’re completely devoted Maine Coon lovers.
Copyright 2006 Sarah Crosier
#Buying #Maine #Coon #Kitten